10.23.2019

Week 10 Story: A Generous Admirer

There once was a very lonely hunter, who lived by himself in the woods. He would often leave for short periods of time for his hunts. However, to his surprise, when he arrived back to his home it would always be spotless. His laundry, once dirty, would be clean, folded, and neatly put away. His dishes would be washed and placed back in their respective cabinets. The weeds in the yard were picked, and the flowers that he never watered still looked beautiful. A hot delicious meal would even be set out on the table and ready to be eaten. Everything was in place and well kept as if he had a wife taking care of him.

The hunter was very curious as to who was entering his home while he was away, and so he came up with a plan. One day, he went away as usual as though he was going on a hunt. However, he decided to hide in the nearby trees and wait to see who it was that was so generous to him.

After a while he saw a fox wandering toward the front door. He suspected that the fox was looking for food. The hunter slowly followed the fox into his home. When he got through the front door, to his surprise stood a gorgeous naked woman. Nearby on the sofa lay the hide of a beautiful fox.

The man, stunned by this woman who robbed the stars of their beauty, asked her if she had been the one who was entering his home and doing all of these wonderful things.She told him that, as a fox, she would often see him on his hunts and ended up falling in love. One day she followed him home and saw that he was all alone and had no one to care for him, so she decided to step in and demonstrate her love.The hunter was amazed, and asked the woman to live with him. 



After they had lived together a short time, he detected a musky odor that lingered in the house and asked her what it was. She replied that she emitted the odor, and if he was bothered by it she would leave. Instead, the hunter started decorating the woman in vibrant and fragrant flowers that he picked from the woods so she would always smell wonderful.

He soon asked her to be his wife, and after some time she gave birth to two adorable girl foxes. 


Author's Note:
The original story was very short and to the point. I decided to add some more detail, especially when writing about the different things the woman did when she entered the home. The ending was really the only thing I changed up. In the original, when the hunter found out that the woman was emitting the odor he was very bothered by it. She morphed back into her fox form and never saw a man again. This ending actually surprised me, and I was a little bummed by it. Therefor, I decided to change it to an ending that made me feel satisfied. I wanted to make it more cutesy. I hope you enjoyed it!

Story source: The Fox-Woman by Stith Thompson (1929)
Image source: Cabin
Image source: Beautiful Fox

8 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    I also read this story and loved how you made it your own! There was plentiful amounts of details in your story! The ending was charming! In the original story, the ending was quick and to the point. I also was unsatisfied by the outcome. Therefore, your ending left me pleased! The man and the fox remained together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Samantha!
    I have read many adaptations of this story so far, and I really like how you made this one your own. I like the idea of a beautiful woman being a fox because foxes are supposed to be cunning and pretty. I think you gave good amount of detail and made this story fun to read!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Samantha!
    I like your ending better. Candles exist! And she did so much for him, he can put up with a little odor. I honestly wish someone would make dinner for me. That would be the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!

    I like how you changed the ending to give it a happy one! I cant imagine that the man would just give everything away because of a smell. I thought it was very creative to use the flowers so that she would always smell fragrant. Although I wonder what they do in the winter time when there are no flowers? Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Samantha! I loved this story. Maybe I really loved it because the adorable picture of the fox, but you definitely did a great job at writing it. I am a sucker for any story about cute fluffy animals. Concerning the story itself, it was short and to the point, but still had everything important included in it! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Samantha,I was really stunned when she gave birth to the foxes. So is that lady a fox or is she a lady? Or is she both? Maybe I skipped some lines when I was reading, but did the hunter not know that she was a fox? That's a question for the day. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Samantha, I had a good time reading this story. I liked how lighthearted and refreshing it was. I noticed you mentioned in the author's note that you put more effort into describing the things the woman does for the man and it really showed! When you mentioned the musky odor I got a little worried, but I'm glad you gave them a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Samantha!

    This is a very endearing story and I really enjoyed reading it. Your prose is beautifully written and reads like a true folktale! I love the idea that the "hunted" falls in love with the hunter, and that he accepts her despite their differences. I imagine the hunter was quite surprised when he opened his door expecting to find a fox and instead found a naked woman - a very sensual way to meet your future spouse. Well done, and I can't wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete