10.31.2019

Week 11 Story: A Happy Ending


There once lived a man who had six daughters. All daughters were incredibly beautiful, with hair as black as a raven and eyes as blue as the ocean. Men could not help but to flock to these girls, and they would often travel many miles in order to ask for their hand in marriage. These men were often very handsome, brave, and very skilled. It was not difficult for the five older daughters to accept these proposals.

After the five older daughters were wooed and married, there remained the youngest daughter. Her name was Grace. Although she was just as beautiful as her older sisters, her personality was much different. Her sisters were proud and talkative, while Grace spoke little and was shy. She was very kind with a loving heart, and would spend most of her time in the woods enjoying nature's beauty. Grace, with dreamy eyes, loved being alone with her thoughts. Yet Grace, modest though she was, had a spirit of her own.

It did not take long for men to see this, and she soon had many suitors. These men, most being conceited and confident that they could win her, were sent away after Grace would laugh in their faces. "Your hair is too dark," "you are too skinny," "you are too tall." she would say. She seemed hard to please. Her sisters started becoming impatient with her. Her father was puzzled.

"Grace, dear, do you wish to never marry?" he asked. "The most handsome and brave men have traveled far across both land and sea to ask four your hand, yet you send them away with silly excuses. Why?"

"Father, these men are handsome, yes. But, it is as if I can see their heart. And these men are not as beautiful on the inside as they appear on the outside."



Soon after, a strange thing happened. A man named Vincent came to the village. He was many years older than Grace, and was poor and ugly. This was the man she chose to marry.

Her sisters were embarrassed, and they questioned their little sister's state of mind. But they did not see what Grace saw. Beneath Vincent's outward ugliness was a beautiful and most generous heart. He was intelligent, and had the passion of a poet. This is why Grace loved him, and knowing that no one else loved him made her love him all the more.

But when they married, the most spectacular thing happened. For when they kissed for the first time, Vincent transformed into the most handsome man in the world. It just so happened that an evil spell had been cast on him many years ago out of pure jealousy.


Author's Note:
I did not change much of the original story. The original did have a lot more details, but I wanted to make it a little more short and to-the-point. This story was broken into 3 or 4 smaller stories in the unit, so we did not find out that a spell had been cast on the husband to make him poor and ugly until the second story. I wanted to add that into my story to give it that happy ending.

Story source: The Child of the Evening Star by W.T. Larned


5 comments:

  1. Hi Samantha,
    I really enjoyed reading your story. I like that you kind of summarized it for us. Some of these stories do seem to drag things out a little unnecessarily. Its a really cool Beauty and the Beast type of story. Those are some of my favorite fairy tale stories. I can't wait to read more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Samantha! I really liked your story and I think you did a great job at writing it in a way that kept my attention. I think the image you chose really accompanies the story well and adds a great touch. I like how you summarized several smaller stories into one cohesive story for us. Great work! I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Samantha,

    Cool story! I didn't expect the ending at all. I like how you combined the element of a kiss causing an event from other fairy tales. I wonder how Grace knew that Vincent was beautiful on the inside? Not everyone who is intelligent or has a passion for the arts is a good person. Also I'm assuming he had to keep this spell a secret? I really liked this story and looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Samantha! Great job with this story, it was a really interesting read! I really enjoyed reading your author's note- it helped me to understand the changes that you made and the things that you kept the same. I also really enjoyed the ending of the story- it reminded me of Beauty and the Beast! Overall, you did a really good job with this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Samantha! I thought your story was exceptional. It never lacked entertainment and I was wanting to continue to get more details as the story went on! The story was well put together and I love how you altered it, but did not take away the core of the story! The picture that you used really helped and is an amazing story! I hope to see more great content from you soon!

    ReplyDelete